Friday, January 28, 2011

The Great Taste Test - Part 3

The time has come the walrus said "To speak of many things"!!!! So, here we go - the last in the series about drinks (soft and slightly harder, beer).

Most beers are available in stubbies or cans, but some brands are now opting back to the larger bottle. I think this may be a marketing mistake on their behalf, but only time will tell. Each beer has its own distinctive taste and the taste can differ greatly between stubbies and cans. With each type of beer I have my own preference, but some people will say that they prefer the alternative. But that is all to the discerning palate of the drinker. I prefer cans for a good reason.  I was carrying home a carton of stubbies (in my single days) and tripped and fell, consequently breaking at least 14 of the 24 stubbies in the carton. So, I vowed then and there that I would buy cans where possible. BUT ... some beers are only drinkable in stubbies, not cans or on tap. Boags Classic Blonde is one of those beers and should only be drunk from the stubby. Cans also are available in 24 or 20 packs and are much lighter and easier to carry (especially if you have had a bit of a session with your mates).

The 4 beers I tested over the last couple of months are XXXX Bitter (Queensland). By the way, I was always told that Queensland beer was labeled XXXX because they couldn't spell beer!!!! Maybe it was southern states against Queensland at the time, this was in the '70's. The others were XXXX Gold Midstrength, XXXX Summer and Boags Classic Blonde.  You will notice in the stats "cost per unit". That is the individual stubby or can cost from a take home pack and that unit has also been broken down to cost per 100ml. So let's start with Queensland beer.

XXXX Bitter Cans: (stubbies not recommended): A very refreshing drink and full strength at 4.6% alcohol. Available in stubbies in 24 carton or cans in 24 or 30 cartons. The price is variable but usually around $50 for 30 375ml cans. Stubbies or also 375ml, so this is important when you are looking for value!! A stronger tasting beer but very refreshing to the palate and has the right amount of fizz. Have not found any adverse effects as I only have maybe 3 - 6 a day or so.
The stats are as follows: Cost: around $50.00 carton 30 cans. Product size 375ml. Cost per unit $1.67. Cost per 100ml $0.63. Alcohol 4.6% and carbohydrate total 2.70 units. All in all this is a very nice beer and is great as a thirst quencher after cutting the lawns or other "strenuous work". Recommended for relaxation.

XXXX Gold cans: (have tried stubbies but not as good in the taste stakes). This is a lower carb beer. As with XXXX Bitter, a very refreshing drink for the lower alcohol content, but tends to bloat you, like all low alcohol beers. Takes a lot of cans to get the 'buzz' as I found out on New Year's Eve when we went to friend's place to celebrate. Had about 10 cans and still walked away without even a stagger or repeating or words or phrases. Now that is definitely a first for me.
Stats are: Cost: around $40.00 carton of 30 cans. Product size 375ml cans. Cost per unit $1.33. Cost per 100ml $0.35. Alcohol 3.5%and carb total 1.90. A refreshing drink. Recommended for social gatherings so that you don't get too untidy!!

XXXX Summer Bright Lager: I can't really say too many good words about this beer. It is full strength and is touted as the summer alternative. I only bought one carton to try because I saw the Air Force boys over the road take several cartons in when they had a party. The cost is quite reasonable, as is all Queensland beer at the moment because the brewery at Milton was flooded. I found that after 2 of these stubbies (I don't think it comes in cans) I developed a slight headache. So I investigated more over the next few days and found that every time I drank Summer I got a headache. Its been a long time since I had a hangover so I don't know whether the headache was an early warning system or what, but i definitely won't be buying it again.
State are: Cost around $40.00 a carton of 24 stubbies. Product size 330ml stubbies. Cost per unit $1.67. Cost per 100ml $0.55. Alcohol 4.2% and carb total 1.20. Recommended that only be drunk in extreme emergency or drastic shortage of other beers.

Boags Classic Blonde: (Stubbies only .. Tap beer is no where the same). This is lower carb and this would have to be the beer drinker's beer!!! Not only because I am Tassie born and bred and loyal to the local brand, but because I have asked several others to try it and they have all said "A great beer". When it was fist produced, I was working as Secretary of the Launceston RSL and the rep came in and asked if I would offer some of our members a free Classic Blonde to gauge the acceptance. I naturally agreed and so he gave me 2 X 6 packs. I tried it after working that Wednesday (that's the day I always worked the bar) and found it to be a very pleasant beer. I tried to keep it to myself but soon everyone knew about it and it became the preferred beer at the RSL. The taste is out of this world, not too harsh or too dry, but just with that hint of Tassie when you close your eyes. Maybe I am homesick????
The stats are: Cost around $46.00 (in Queensland) a carton of 24 stubbies. Product size 375ml stubbies. Cost per unit $1.92. Cost per 100ml $0.72. Alcohol content 4.5% and carb total 1.00. Recommended for any social occasion and just for pure enjoyment.

As you can see there has been a lot of investigation carried out and to break it all down .... but first ..... authorities say that "THE HIGHER THE ALCOHOL CONTENT THE HIGHER THE SUGAR AND CARBOHYDRATES". Well just take a look at the stats:
XXXX Bitter: Alcohol 4.6% carbs 2.70
Classic Blonde (Lower carb): Alcohol  4.5% 1.00
XXXX Gold (Lower carb): Alcohol 3.5% carb 1.90
XXXX Summer: Alcohol 4.2% carb 1.2
So when you look at it realistically, these so-called experts are talking out of the area where their mothers never kissed them!!!! The alcohol content does NOT increase the carbohydrate total, according to my survey.
Now for the overall result!!!!!
I would recommend the best beer of the 4 for pleasure and satisfaction is ........................................


Wait for it (as if you haven't already guessed .........................


In my opinion ... Boags Classic Blonde is the best beer in Australia and I urge you all to try your hardest to procure a carton (or several) to just try and prove me wrong!!!!!

Keep watching fans ... more gardening coming and if you have something you would like me to investigate .. please let me know.
Until next time .. May you have fair winds and calm seas.

4 comments:

  1. Boags Classic Blonde gets my vote too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never could cultivate a taste for beer; scotch either, for that matter.

    A tot of rum ... that is a horse of an entirely different color and disposition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Job Pop. But I think you should do a measure between the Boags classic Blonde against the draught (My long time favourite) and also the Carlton Dry fussion with lime :)

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take classic blond anytime. Tried Summer as well when I was there...all I can remember is yuck.

    ReplyDelete