Friday, January 21, 2011

At Last - The Results Are In - Part 1

THE TASTE TEST:  Soft Drink.

Everyone knows the taste of the big brands, so I won't go into them!!! They have been around for too many years. Besides, they are quite expensive to buy at times. I have found, through my extensive taste testing, that the Aldi brand - Regal - has the best all-round taste. And it is economical as you can buy it in single flavours or a mix of 4 - orange, lemon, cola and lemonade. This mix comes in packs of 24 (6 of each flavour). Value later in this report.

Now for the all important and infallible "MICHAEL'S TASTE TEST"
Coca-Cola and Schweppes brands always have a distinctive taste although some lesser brands come close to the mark. The big brands would all score 8/10 and with Regal I have broken each flavour down and marked individually.

LEMONADE - Very fizzy, but most lemonades are. A bit harsh to throw down if you are real thirsty and makes the eyes water!! Maybe best sipped or used as a mixer.

Flavour is good and scores 7/10.






COLA - Just as a cola should be!! Not too fizzy but with a full cola taste. Makes a great rum and cola.

Scores 8/10


LEMON - An excellent social drink. Just like the Lemon Squash you used to be able to get in the pub.

Fizz is just right and the lemon sensation is sweet with just the right amount of tartness.

Scores 8/10.










ORANGE - The top of the list!! Everything about Regal Orange is just about right according to my tests.

The orange flavour is not overbearing nor is it too sweet and the fizz is enough to satisfy that thirst. There is no bad after-taste (as all Regal drinks comply with this criterion) and overall, a very satisfying drink.

Scores 9/10.









VALUE FOR MONEY -

The big brands often have discounted products in packs of 24, or sometimes 30, but they are usually of only one flavour. You can sometimes find 6 or 12 packs on sale but again, no mixed flavours.

Aldi Regal has a 24 pack of 6 each of 4 flavours (see above) and this is the product I usually buy.
Big brands cost between $12 and $16 for 24 where Regal is around $10 a mixed 24 pack.

THE BOTOM LINE -

Aldi Regal is the best for all-round taste and value.
I don't think that Aldi is trading in Tasmania yet, but when they do I urge everyone to change your shopping habits from the duopoly and try Aldi. You can usually purchase 90% of your shopping there with only a few branded products (if you really want them) at the big supermarkets.

Spare a thought for me while I was carrying out this survey. On several occasions I had to fore-go my usual 4:30 beer to be able to give an honest opinion. (A few words of sympathy wouldn't go astray!!!). But I did it all with goodness in my heart and in the interests of science.

6 comments:

  1. Very Good evaluation Pop, I agree fully with what you have written. As you know Regal was also our choice of soft drink for home when we were in QLD. I would add that when available the plastic bottles of the same flavours do not do justice to the product.

    Now this is done you can bring your 4:30 beer forward to 3:30 for a week in thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pop, I dont know much about Regal, but i do fall in love with SOLO ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. if I remember correctly I think for me the Lemonade scores the highest for me. Cola face off ratings soon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soft drink stats are in and finished!!!! A man can only drink so much soft drink in the interests of science!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its looking awesome, I don't know the taste of this Regal because I am not try this before. But I am sure its looks like the taste of Shunya Herbal cold drink. Check now - Shunya mineral drink

    ReplyDelete