Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Great Taste Test - Part 2

BEER: First ... a bit of background.

After extensive investigations and tasting of 4 beers, I have concluded that my poor old Dad was right!!! He always told me: "There are no bad beers son, just some are better than others." And I have also concluded that everyone's taste in beer differs and really stems from where you live and the taste you acquire from the local brew. Then you can decide which you prefer.

SERVING OF BEER: The presentation of beer when you go to your local pub or drinking hole is very important and will create an effect on your enjoyment at the time. The way the beer is poured is so very important; too big a head and you don't get value for money and too little - the beer is flat!! I visited Canada while I was in the Navy and at the time they had very strict rules concerning the social drink. There were Cocktail Bars and Beer Halls. Being good Aussie sailors we opted for the beer hall. What a shock!! The floor was covered with sawdust and the furniture was all pine. The tables were long and would seat 8 - 10 people and the seats were benches. They were also SCREWED TO THE FLOOR. Not only that - the ashtrays were also screwed to the tables. The beer glasses had a Plimsoll Line, but not like in Australia. The froth on the head of the beer had to be BELOW THE LINE. It was illegal to pour a beer with the head above the line. Quite a beer drinker's culture shock.

 I visited Kuala Lumpur last year and I think I found the most civilised way for beer to be served at your table.The CARLSBERG TOWER!!!!! Shaif and I decided that this was the most economical way to buy beer. The tower holds 3.3 litres of ice-cold beer, and it remains cold to the last drop because of an ice tube in the centre of the tower. You can just see it in the pic. The tower also has its own convenient tap and after delivery to your table, you just help yourself when needed. This is really civilised social drinking!!

You can travel from pub to pub drinking the same brand of beer and find a distinct different taste each time. This comes down to the expertise of the cellar-man and his staff. If the beer lines aren't cleaned regularly and correctly, this is reflected in the taste and quality of the product at the drinker's end. The way it is poured is important too. I learnt a lot about cellar work while I was in the Navy and I had a crusty old Chief Petty Officer as my mentor, and you couldn't get anything past him!!

But this taste testing is not about pubs as the beers differ so much. Its about take home products.
This is enough info for the time being - Next time the feared STATS!!!!

4 comments:

  1. the guy on your right looks fammiliar? ;)

    Don't you wish they have Tiger tower as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that bloke on the right of me was some derro I picked up on the way. And yes, a Tiger Tower would be the way to go. Wish they had them here in Aussie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on over Brett you can have more than a tower....

    which bloke again Poppy? hehhehe

    ReplyDelete