Friday, March 2, 2012

The Peanut Vendor

When I was in the Navy as a Musician, I performed in a lot of combinations from Parade Band to Fanfare to small dance band to big band like Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey.
It was with the big band that we played "The Peanut Vendor". It was a great piece of music and it came to mind when I was digging our peanut crop.
I don't know where the title came from, and I'm not really concerned. but it was a great piece of music.
But .... now that I have dug the peanuts I thought maybe you would like to see what I have grown .... so ....
I made this frame to dry the peanuts as I read that they need to be left in the sun for a few days so that the toxins in them will disperse. The toxin won't do too much harm to you but maybe make you a little sick.
Last year I just left them on the ground and when the rain came, I moved them to the shed and the mice had a real feast. So that's why they are on a frame.

As you can see, there is a fair crop here and I am sure that Kay will have the time of her life boiling some of them. The rest I will roast and maybe even put a little salt on and have with my beer each night.
I did find a couple of "rogue" plants a couple of weeks ago that were growing from last year's crop, so I pulled them and saved the nuts and I will use them as seed for next year.
Talk about sustainable gardening!!!!

2 comments: