Friday, February 11, 2011

A Little Bit of My Life

Now that you have been clued up about my family history, you had better be let in on some of the big secrets of my life.
I was born in a small maternity hospital in College Street, Launceston, Tasmania, called St Ive's on Friday 13th December 1946. Mum always used to joke about how she tried to push me out on the 12th and then hold me until the 14th, but she said that I was too determined to be born on Friday 13th that she had no say in it. I was even a bit stubborn in those early years???? Anyhow, joking again (at least I hope Mum was joking) Mum always used to say it was the blackest day she ever saw!!! But Friday 13th has always had a special little bit of luck coming my way in one shape or form. And as the story goes ... My Auntie Beryl had just given birth to Glenn and she had moved out of the hospital and Mum took over the only bed there, which is sort of ominous. Anyhow, after I was born and Mum was well enough to go home, the staff shunted us out the door and CLOSED THE HOSPITAL!!!!! So I have the possible distinction of being the last baby born in ST Ive's Hospital, so the story goes. Maybe they didn't want another one like me being born there????
I was raised by my paternal grandparents and when my Nan died, my Pop took care of me and really taught me much of what I know today. He taught me the true values of life and the appreciation of nature and the resilience to the way people mistreat other people and how to switch off. This little bit of "training" helped me immensely in later life. Pop also taught me most of what I know about gardening. He was a great gardener and grew everything from asparagus to chrysanthemums and chooks. I remember that prior to every Mother's Day I used to take bunches of chrysanthemums around the neighbourhood selling them to be put on the graves of mothers on Mother's Day. I also used to walk the neighbourhood delivering eggs every Friday night. Pop also got me into music by joining me up as a learner in the Launceston Boys' Band. This initial training sort of became a blueprint for the rest of my musical life. I also owe a lot to the late Mr Neil Graham who was the Bandmaster for most of my time in the band before I joined the Navy.

This is me at a very young age in the uniform of the Launceston Boys' and Citizens' Band and that is my maternal grandmother with me, Nanna Powell. Nanna really helped me by encouraging me to continue with music as I was so dejected after my Pop died. When Pop died I was in total shutdown. He was my world and I didn't know how I would cope, but with the help of my Mum and my Dad and Nanna Powell, I managed and I think that maybe Pop is still up there watching me and lending a guiding hand.
This is me in my first pair of long trousers. Two things happened when we turned 13 in those days - you got your first pair of long trousers from Mum and your first watch from Dad. Both were great big deals for us. Even in winter we used to go to school in short pants and long socks and never even thought of the cold. Well, the girls always wore dresses didn't they? so they weren't any worse off than the boys.
I remember as a teenager catching eels  and picking blackberries in the summer to sell around the neighbourhood. Everything was 3pence a pound or each. We used to make a pretty good sum too. But we only wanted enough money to buy our smokes, and I'm still puffing away 51 years later!!!!

Life was so easy in those days. No TV, video games or computers. It was even difficult to listen to a record because the old 78's were "protected" by Mum. The record player was a huge piece of furniture and  it had a record player and radio all in one unit. Very spiffy for those days. We always made our own fun and entertainment consisted of radio serials, Saturday Matinee at the pictures and comic books or a good adventure book like Jungle Jim or Tarzan of the Apes.

I spent most of my time at the river near home with my mates. We fished for trout, perch, blackfish, roach and eels or picked blackberries and other fruit in season. The fruit grew wild along the river banks, except the apples and pears, which grew in Scotch College orchard. How were we to know that!!! We found out though when we tried to sell some fruit from the orchard to the College chef!!! He was not impressed.

More to come about me ... Next ... My Navy Life.

1 comment:

  1. I pretty sure that I'm glad short pants weren't in vogue for boys when I was being reared.

    Sounds as though you had a great Pop. It also sounds to me that you do him proud.

    ReplyDelete