Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Little Bit of My Life as a Civilian - Part 2

Before I go further, I thought it only right that I give my sons their moment of fame. This is my eldest son, Brett when he was at Primary School. Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth would it??? Brett became a fine upstanding member of the Christian community in Launceston and worked solidly, even in his teens assisting his Mum on a milk round. In later times, he also worked as a "Crowd Controller", barman and Security Guard. He worked in Queensland for a few years with Swift Meat Works and then transferred back to Launceston with the company. He now works with ANL in Launceston. Well done mate!!!
 Alex was always a timid little man (much like his Dad) and has now grown into a fine young adult. He lives in Victoria and is doing a lot of work in the community just helping people out. He has a heart as big as the state he lives in. His computer skills are second to none and he has solved numerous problems that I have had over the years. When he was in Queensland with Brett, the pair were possibly the best IT team you could wish to find. Brett with hardware and Alex with software. I am sure that Alex will complete his tech course in computing and maybe turn out to be another Bill Gates!!! He was about 4 in this photo.

 Alex also was Pageboy at his sister Katrina's wedding. It is so great to be able to look back on these photos and just re-imagine the times when it all happened!!! I miss seeing my children as they are in the Southern States and I am in Queensland, but that was my choice to move here for health reasons.

I have sort of lost contact with my youngest son, Nick. From what I have read on Facebook he is also doing well working at the University in Launceston. He has recently had a son, with his fiance Brooke. Maybe one day we will make up for lost time.

I spent the next several years after my second divorce working as a Postal Services Officer selling stamps and stuff behind a counter at the local Post Office.
I finally cracked up and my doctor at the time recommended that I retire, so I did. I was eventually granted a pension by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) and later on granted TPI (Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Veteran). 
At this time my son Alex was living with me and I splurged out and bought a decent computer and started searching the internet for someone to talk to.That is where I found my current wife, Kay. I met her one night, quite late as I usually closed down about 2200 or so but that night I stayed on for some reason, and there she was!! Over time we got to really know each other and eventually I went to Kuala Lumpur to meet her. 

 
Our first marriage was  in Trong, Kay's home kampong or village. Her wonderful father, who was an imam, married us and there was the most wonderful, extensive feast you could ever imagine, all provided by family members.  I thought then that if I lived in Malaysia I would soon be the size of a house. Sorry about the missing heads, but I didn't take this photo!!

We had a  terrific couple of months there then headed back to Launceston via Perth where Kay's sister and brother-in-law live. We were again married in a mosque by the local imam where we received the official Islam Marriage Certificate and the whole thing was organised in a couple of hours. How Salmah did it I don't know. (That's Salmah on the left with Kay at the mosque). But all was good and I was accepted into the Perth part of the family.

After we returned to Launceston we spent weeks arranging our official wedding. We were married officially according to Australian requirements on 31st August 2002 and we were the first couple to be married in the Launceston RSL officiated over by a marriage celebrant. 31st August is Malaysian Nation Day, or Merdeka, which means "FREEDOM". A bit incongruous getting married on Freedom Day!!!! But I still believe that after marrying a beautiful woman like Kay,my freedom has in no way been compromised. Besides, why would I want to forsake this beautiful woman for "Freedom". So I now have quite a large extended family which extends literally a quarter of the way around the world.
Launceston was an eye-opener after the "older generation" found out that I had accepted the Islamic religion and become Muslim. Contrary to popular belief, I did not automatically become a terrorist, as one older lady commented to me!! I explained to her that I was still the same person and with the same history of service to my country in the Navy and that by becoming a Muslim, I did not accept the tenets of the terrorists. I embrace the religion, but I do not profess it. I still like a beer but I will not touch pork products. That is the extent of it!!!
I was badly assaulted  in 2008 and because of that bashing, my leg has never really recovered, so we moved to Queensland to a warmer climate which we hoped would make it easier for me to walk without a walking stick. But, best laid plans of mice and men and all that .... not quite what we expected. Still have to use the stick when out but around home I have the terrain down pat and don't need it. Still a bit unsure outside of home.

That's about all you are going to get folks!!! That is my life in a nutshell. I have led an active and eventful life I suppose. But, I wouldn't change anything!! I have made my mistakes and have paid dearly for them on occasion, and I have also reaped the many rewards of a full and mostly happy life. 
I was brought up to respect my elders and to offer my assistance to those less fortunate than me, and I hope I have lived up to that.
So, all I have to say is "That's All Folks". Porky Pig would be proud.
Keep tuning in to my blog. I have been asked to comment on the "Battle to Become Accepted as a Vietnam Veteran", which will be on the airwaves very soon.
My love goes out unreservedly to all of you.

3 comments:

  1. Considering the amount of anti-Islamic bias in Australia, (and in other parts of the world), conversion was a brave act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. write about me, write about me! haha.. love reading your writing poppy! Najib

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will Najib. But pass the word around to your friends about my blog. The more followers I get the more I will write!!!!

    ReplyDelete