Friday, April 22, 2011

ANZAC Day

96 years ago, on 25th April 1915, men from the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) landed on the beaches at Gallipoli on the Dardanelles Peninsular just after dawn. They became knows as The ANZACs. A name that is respected and revered in Australia and New Zealand and will be for time immemorial.
They were everyday men who heeded the call to arms to support the war effort of the mother country, Great Britain. They were men who showed the greatest courage under fire and never did they fail in their task. They fell with their faces to the enemy and from that moment on, they have been lauded for the bravery they showed on that fateful day.
History will tell us that mistakes were made on that morning. The greatest mistake possible was the fact that they were landed on the incorrect beach,. and it is also possible that the British commanders knew this and used these men as "cannon fodder" to take some of the pressure off British troops landing elsewhere on the peninsular.
In Australia, every year on the 25th April, we gather for the Dawn Service at Cenotaphs all around the country. This is very moving service and is often considered as a "Serviceman's Service". It is a time to honour those of our forefathers who went before us and paid the supreme sacrifice. Not only in memory of the ANZACs, but men and women who fought in any conflict where Australia was involved.

From Wikipedia - Alexander William ("Alec") Campbell (26 February 1899 – 16 May 2002) was the final surviving Australian participant of the Gallipoli campaign during the First World War. His death broke the last living link of Australians with the Gallipoli story.
I had the honour of meeting Alec many years ago, well before it was envisaged that he would be the Last ANZAC. He was an unassuming man and a real gentleman and it really brought home to me that Alec was a hero in his own right, just for being there. I was in Launceston when the news of his passing was made public and it was almost as if one of my own family had gone. Rest in Peace, Alec.
I remember when I was very young, my grandfather would wake me early on ANZAC Day to get ready to go to the Dawn Service at the Cenotaph. In April in Launceston, it is usually pretty cold, so he always made sure that I was well rugged up. At the time I didn't really understand what it was all about, but I do remember feeling that it was something special. As the years progressed, I understood more and, as far as I can recall, I never missed a Dawn Service until recently. A tradition after the Dawn Service is a rum issue. It stems from the practice of the issue of a tot of rum to the soldiers before they left the ship in barges. It was believed to warm them up and give them courage.
The ANZAC Service at 1100 is another way for the general public to gather and pay their respects. Serving and ex-Service members march to the Cenotaph where a Service of Remembrance is carried out. Services are always well attended as nearly everyone in Australia has some connection to a serving or ex-service member. After the service, reunions are held at local RSL Clubs and this is where mates meet over a beer or two and reminisce about their time in the service and what has happened since they last saw each other, possibly at this time last year!!! I remember as a kid the sound of the medals clinking as the servicemen and women marched down the street. I vowed to myself then that one day I would be able to "clink" down the street as well, and that vow has come to fruition as I am honoured to wear 5 medals, and they DO clink.
I also attended every ANZAC Day parade and service, but, unfortunately, this year I will be attending neither. I will observe the traditions at home and remember in my own way the mates I lost and absent friends.
I would urge everyone who possibly can to attend an ANZAC Day service. It is a way of showing support and respect for our service people, whether they are long gone or are still serving.

LEST WE FORGET.

3 comments:

  1. I also remember many an early morning woken by you to attend the dawn service - wonderful memories thanks for teaching me the importance of remembering :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always remember taking you and Brett to Dawn Services. There were always comments how well my son and daughter behaved at such a solemn occasion. Remebrance is a virtue that many young people of today do not have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honor the warrior. We can never allow them to be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete